Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross and Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Brendan Griffin T.D., have, announced the formation of a Tourism Recovery Taskforce with an Independent Chair, dedicated to spearheading economic recovery for the tourism sector. It will report in the Autumn.
Minister Ross said:
'In order to ensure that the tourism sector can emerge from this pandemic ready for business, we need to plan early, plan well and plan together. To this end I am pleased to announce the formation of a dedicated Tourism Recovery Taskforce, made up of leaders from varying sections of the industry, who will work together to deal with the many challenges ahead in a dynamic and innovative manner. They will be chaired by Ruth Andrews [CEO of ITOA Ireland, Chair of ITIC, and Special Advisor to AVEA] and have agreed to lend their services voluntarily in order to support the industry at this critical time. I hope that the Taskforce will do its work quickly and efficiently and be in a position to report back to Government by the end of the summer.”
The Taskforce will engage with stakeholders in the tourism sector through a series of consultative meetings and written submissions, so that the views and experiences of all are taken into consideration. All new and innovative ideas for recovery will be considered. The Department’s Tourism Division will provide the secretariat to the Taskforce.
Membership of the Taskforce is
• Ruth Andrews, Taskforce Chair, CEO of ITOA Ireland, Chair of ITIC, and Special Advisor to AVEA.
• Elaina Fitzgerald Kane, Director, Fitzgerald’s Woodlands House Hotel and Spa, Adare Co. Limerick. Since Feb 2020 President of the IHF
• Eimear Killian, General Manager of “Brasserie on the Corner” Restaurant, Galway
• Stephen Kavanagh, Board member and former CEO of Aer Lingus; current board member of aircraft leasing company CDB Aviation
• Jane Stacey, Head of the Tourism Unit in the OECD Centre for Entrepreneurship, SMEs, Regions and Cities
• Ken Spratt, Head of Tourism and Sport, D/TTAS
• John Herlihy, VP EMEA and LATAM at LinkedIn
• Pat O’Leary, chair of Kerry Tourism Industry Federation; former MD of International Maritime Division, Liebherr Group
• Tom Enright, CEO Wexford County Council
• Eoghan Corry, Travel industry commentator and broadcaster
• Martin Dalby, CEO, Center Parcs.
• John McLaughlin, CEO, North & West Coast Links Golf.
• Paul Kelly, CEO Fáilte Ireland (National Tourism Development Authority)
• Niall Gibbons, CEO Tourism Ireland (Overseas marketing agency)
Purpose of the Taskforce
To prepare a Tourism Recovery Plan for submission to the Minister which will include a set of recommendations on how best the Irish tourism sector can adapt and recover in the changed tourism environment as a result of the Covid-19 crisis. The plan will identify priority aims, key enablers and market opportunities for the sector for the period 2020-2023. The Taskforce may consult with stakeholders to inform its deliberations and report back to the Minister in Q3 of this year.