Millions of Spaniards are seeing eye-catching ads for Dublin and Belfast in metro stations in Madrid and Barcelona right now. Tourism Ireland’s latest promotion, in partnershi
p with Atrapalo, a major online travel agent in Spain, is under way.
The campaign aims to boost late season travel from Spain to the island of Ireland and to kick-start business for 2018. As well as the metro ads, the campaign includes
- online ads on websites like El País, Huffington Post Espana, Ocholeguas and El Mundo;
- email marketing to the Atrapalo database of 1 million Spanish travellers;
- a dedicated microsite and Ireland booking engine on Atrapalo.com;
- Ireland article in Atrapalo’s Houdinis magazine, which has about 80,000 readers; and
- extensive social media activity, via the Atrapalo Facebook and Twitter channels (about 428,500 followers).
About 21% of all of our Spanish visitors arrive in the off-season or Q4 – a real opportunity to win business at a time when there is capacity in accommodation and other tourism facilities. Also, Spaniards tend to travel in the latter part of the year due to the high concentration of Spanish ‘puentes’ (bank holiday weekends).
Barbara Wood, Tourism Ireland’s manager in Spain, said: “We are undertaking a busy programme of promotions, to continue to grow Spanish visitor numbers to the island of Ireland. Our co-operative campaign with Atrapalo is an important element of that programme, to boost travel during the winter months and position us well for 2018.”