Plans to turn the James Joyce “House of the Dead” on Dublin’s Liffey quays into a 56-bedroom hostel have been lodged with Dublin City Council.
The Georgian house at 15 Usher’s Island, the setting of Joyce’s short story The Dead and one-time home of the writer’s great-aunts, was sold almost two years ago for €650,000.
The estate agency handling the sale, QRE, had expected interest from Dublin City Council or the Office of Public Works, but neither bid for the historic building and it was sold privately. It is colloquially known as the 'House of the Dead' due to its association with the story featured in Dubliners, a collection of short stories published in 1914.
Property investors Fergus McCabe and Brian Stynes are now seeking planning permission to turn the protected structure into a hostel with a cafe at basement level. The plans also seek the demolition of a two-storey 20th-century extension to the rear of the building and its replacement with a new four-storey extension to house offices and bathroom facilities.